Help with 'now', now(), timestamp 'now', ... - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From edipoelder@ig.com.br
Subject Help with 'now', now(), timestamp 'now', ...
Date
List pgsql-sql
Hi all,
   I�m developing some procedures in my db and i want know how much time my

procedures take to execute. So, i write my first procedure (to test) as
follows:

CREATE FUNCTION TEST(INTEGER) RETURNS INTEGER AS '
DECLARE        SEQ RECORD;
BEGIN        SELECT NEXTVAL(''TIMES_ID_SEQ'') AS ID INTO SEQ;        INSERT INTO TIMES (ID, START) VALUES (SEQ.ID,
NOW());       FOR I IN 1..$1 LOOP                           ^^^^^                INSERT INTO TEST(ANUMBER) VALUES
(RANDOM()*$1);       END LOOP;        UPDATE TIMES SET END = NOW() WHERE ID = SEQ.ID;        RETURN SEQ.ID;
^^^^^

END;'
LANGUAGE 'PLPGSQL';
   and executed using "SELECT TEST(10000);". When it finish, i do a "SELECT

* FROM TIMES" and got:

test=> SELECT * FROM TIMES;   start  |   end    | id
----------+----------+---- 10:27:55 | 10:27:55 | 12 10:27:55 | 10:27:55 | 13 10:30:29 | 10:30:29 | 14 10:31:29 |
10:31:29| 15

(4 rows)
   In id = 12 and id = 13, i runned two times. Then I changed the function

and run, at id = 14. Change again at id = 15.
   Where is underlined (^^^^), i tried to put, 'now', timestamp 'now', etc,

and always get the same time. What i'm doing wrong?

obs.:  -> TABLE TEST (ID SERIAL, ANUMBER INTEGER)       -> TABLE TIMES (ID SERIAL, START TIME, END TIME);       ->
PostgreSQL7.0.2 under Conectiva Linux

   Thanks,
   Edipo Elder   [edipoelder@ig.com.br]

Oi! Voc� quer um iG-mail gratuito?