Re: all views in database broken at once - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Jan Wieck
Subject Re: all views in database broken at once
Date
List pgsql-sql
Mathijs Brands wrote:
> On Sat, Mar 24, 2001 at 11:36:56PM -0500, Tom Lane allegedly wrote:
> > Mathijs Brands <mathijs@ilse.nl> writes:
> > > How about being able to recompile them (keeping the SQL around in the
> > > system catalogs)? Doesn't Oracle allow you to do something like that?
> >
> > That's another possibility.  It's not real clear that there's any
> > advantage to storing rules in preparsed form to begin with --- if
> > we just stored the original text and reparsed it each time it was
> > read, the system would be vastly more flexible, and probably not
> > noticeably slower.
>
> But every bit of performance counts, of course...
   The  question  is  if parsing the original query is that more   expensive than converting the printed  node  tree
back into   it's  binary representation, what's done now. And then again,   this is only done  when  the  relation  is
opened and  it's   RelationData  not  found  in  the  relcache.  If the relcache   serves well, this happens once per
connection.
   OTOH, due to toast  we  don't  need  to  save  space  in  the   pg_rewrite tuples any more. Adding two new
attributesto hold   just  the   backparsed   rule   qualification   and   actions   (backparsed  from  the nodes like
donefor pg_dump), it might   be easy to create a utility that recompiles rules -  for  one   or all relations.

Jan