Re: please some help on trigger creation - Mailing list pgsql-general

From will trillich
Subject Re: please some help on trigger creation
Date
List pgsql-general
On Mon, Mar 12, 2001 at 11:45:13PM +0100, Feite Brekeveld wrote:
> Suppose:
>
> create table  rawrecords (
>   myrec text;
> );
>
> create table cookedrecords (
>     id varchar(10) not null,
>     name varchar(20) not null,
>    value integer not null
> );
>
> We insert a record say string:  "thisid/thisname/12345" into the
> rawrecords table.
>
> I would like to have a trigger on that table that splits the raw record
> into:
>
>     thisid    thisname    12345
>
> and inserts those in the cookedrecords table.
>
> It's easy to split such a string using a perl function but how to get
> them in the table then ?

<guess factor=blind>
maybe plug items into the NEW pseudorecord...?
similar to a CREATE RULE type of thing?

    create rule
        add_rec
        as on insert to my_view
        do instead
            insert into my_table (
                fullname,
                yadayada
            ) values (
                NEW.lastname || ', ' || NEW.firstname,
                NEW.something / NEW.somethingelse + NEW.theotherthing
            );

</guess>

--
It is always hazardous to ask "Why?" in science, but it is often
interesting to do so just the same.

will@serensoft.com
http://newbieDoc.sourceforge.net/ -- we need your brain!