Local Host Security? All users should have passwords optionally... - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From pgsql-bugs@postgresql.org
Subject Local Host Security? All users should have passwords optionally...
Date
List pgsql-bugs
Iván Baldo (ivan.baldo@pilasnet.com) reports a bug with a severity of 2

Short Description
Local Host Security? All users should have passwords optionally...

Long Description
I wanted to add passwords to all the users on the database, including the postgres user, etc. Then everything is
authenticatedusing "crypt" method, so it asks passwords EVERYTIME.
The problem I found is that I cannot do a "pg_dumpall" anymore, since I have no way to tell it to use the "postgres"
userwith a given password. It tries to use the user "root" without password and it fails miserably!
What happens if a hacker (or worst, a cracker!) enters to the machine somehow and I don't ask passwords for unix domain
sockets?Well, it has access to all my data... Ok, this should not happen, but I worry if it happens and I think it is
importantto enforce the security a little more in Postgres. The documentation doesn't say anything about this...

Sample Code

No file was uploaded with this report