Re: PostgreSQL and PHP - some Great Bridge news - Mailing list pgsql-php

From Stephen van Egmond
Subject Re: PostgreSQL and PHP - some Great Bridge news
Date
List pgsql-php
Ned Lilly (ned@greatbridge.com) wrote:
> We're also very interested in hacker feedback as to what you'd like to
> see in a software and service package that revolves around the Web
> development "stack."  What kind of tools, building blocks, and
> applications would you like to see commercially supported?  Don't be shy
> - please email me at ned@greatbridge.com with any suggestions.  I'll
> also be at ApacheCon in a few weeks if you'd like to get together in person.

Hello Ned,

It rooks like Great Bridge is really bringing the infrastructure people
together.   I'm glad to see that and apprecate your efforts.

I've been hacking on the higher layers, developing a framework for
online communities using PHP and Postgres.  I am taking a similar
approach as ArsDigita, releasing as much as I can.  Obviously I'm not
getting into bed with Oracle like they are.  Philip put all his
knowledge into a book which is available at
http://www.arsdigita.com/asj/thebook/ , and I'm doing something
somewhat similar at http://tinyplanet.ca/thebook/ .

I'm not building something as big and oppressive as Zope, just
something that is good enough to cover the majority of web publishing
problems, and is effective and lightweight.

In fact, I'm currently in touch with Stacie Parillo, Bruce Momjian's
editor at Addison-Wesley, about getting "the book" published.  I've
got a book proposal mostly written and am working on chapters as you
can see.

I don't know if this is the direction that you're moving in, but if
indeed it is, I'm interested in working with you.

/Steve