Re: Re: Rules, views, sequences and returned values - Mailing list pgsql-general

From will trillich
Subject Re: Re: Rules, views, sequences and returned values
Date
List pgsql-general
On Fri, Mar 23, 2001 at 09:53:49AM -0500, Gregory Wood wrote:
> >  I have a table and want to make a view updateable with rules. Table has a
> >  sequence that creates default value to primary key when inserting.
> >
> >  And now the question: Is it posible to return value of primary key from
> >  rule of inserting with NEW? Is that value what i would get from extern
> >  calling to insert, instead of OID?.
>
> SELECT currval('seq-table-name_seq-field-name_seq');
>
> where seq-table-name is the name of your table (not the view), and
> seq-field-name is the name of the primary key.

i'm sure there's a reason for this--

psql=> select currval('mytable_afield_seq') ;
ERROR:  mytable_afield_seq.currval is not yet defined in this session

but i'll be darned if i can figure out what it is. (after one
call to "nextval()" currval() works fine, of course.) someone hit
me with a clue stick!

--
It is always hazardous to ask "Why?" in science, but it is often
interesting to do so just the same.

will@serensoft.com
http://newbieDoc.sourceforge.net/ -- we need your brain!