Re: Performance monitor signal handler - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Samuel Sieb
Subject Re: Performance monitor signal handler
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Sat, Mar 17, 2001 at 09:33:03AM -0500, Jan Wieck wrote:

>     The  general  problem  remains.  We  only  have  one  central
>     collector with a limited receive capacity.  The more load  is
>     on  the  machine,  the  smaller it's capacity gets.  The more
>     complex the DB schemas get  and  the  more  load  is  on  the
>     system,  the  more interesting accurate statistics get.  Both
>     factors are contraproductive. More complex schema means  more
>     tables  and  thus  bigger  messages.  More  load  means  more
>     messages.  Having good statistics on a toy system while  they
>     get  worse  for  a  web  backend  server  that's really under
>     pressure is braindead from the start.

Just as another suggestion, what about sending the data to a different
computer, so instead of tying up the database server with processing the
statistics, you have another computer that has some free time to do the
processing.

Some drawbacks are that you can't automatically start/restart it from the
postmaster and it will put a little more load on the network, but it seems
to mostly solve the issues of blocked pipes and using too much cpu time
on the database server.