Rule/currval() issue - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Tim Perdue
Subject Rule/currval() issue
Date
List pgsql-sql
This is related to the plpgsql project I was working on this morning. I'm
trying to create a rule, so that when a row is inserted into a certain table,
we also create a row over in a "counter table". The problem lies in getting
the primary key value (from the sequence) so it can be inserted in that
related table.

I tried a couple different approaches. Neither works.

artifact_group_list is a table where the primary key, group_artifact_id is
SERIAL type. When I insert a row, I want to get that new value in my rule.

--
--  Define a rule so when you create a new ArtifactType
--  You automatically create a related row over in the counters table

I get this:

ERROR: artifact_grou_group_artifac_seq.currval is not yet defined in this session

If I write the rule this way:

CREATE RULE artifactgroup_insert_agg AS   ON INSERT TO artifact_group_list       DO INSERT INTO
artifact_counts_agg(group_artifact_id,count,open_count)           VALUES (new.group_artifact_id,0,0);

...it doesn't fail with an error, but the sequence increments twice.

Tim

--
Founder - PHPBuilder.com / Geocrawler.com
Lead Developer - SourceForge