Re: Max Conncection limit? - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Frank Joerdens
Subject Re: Max Conncection limit?
Date
List pgsql-sql
On Tue, Mar 13, 2001 at 11:33:10AM -0500, Najm Hashmi wrote:
> We  start a server and initiate 30 connections(with the libpq C interface)
> which are  stored in a stack to  use and  and to be reused.
>
> After awhile I try to start another server that will also try to initiate 30
> connections, for each connection I then get a PQErrorMessage like that :
> "Sorry, too many connections"
>
> if I do a ps -ax at that time I get a lot of /usr/bin/postgres 192.168.0.1
> user name passwd   idle
>
> what I usually do is restart postgres but I wish I didnt have to do that...
> That is not an elegant solutuion any ways.
> What can I do? Thanks in advance. Regards

Have a look at the runtime-config.html in the admin section of the
manual:

MAX_CONNECTIONS (integer)

Determines how many concurrent connections the database server will
allow. The default is 32. There is also a compiled-in hard upper limit
on this value, which is typically 1024 (both numbers can be altered when
compiling the server). This parameter can only be set at server start.

Regards, Frank