Re: postgresql problem - Mailing list pgsql-ports

From Jason Tishler
Subject Re: postgresql problem
Date
List pgsql-ports
Jane,

On Mon, Mar 05, 2001 at 05:05:47PM +1300, Jane G wrote:
>    I was following the directions by Kevin for Porting PostgreSQL to
>    Windows 2000
>    http://people.freebsd.org/~kevlo/postgres/portNT.html ) .
>
>    When I got to step 7, and tried to run './configure',  I get the
>    error.
>
>    $ configure
>    checking host system type... i686-pc-cygwin
>    checking echo setting...
>    checking setting template to... cygwin32
>    configure: warning: *** Include directory /usr/local/include does not exist.

Did you install cygipc 1.09?

>    checking whether to support locale... disabled
>    checking whether to support cyrillic recode... disabled
>    checking whether to support multibyte... disabled
>    checking setting DEF_PGPORT... 5432
>    checking setting DEF_MAXBACKENDS... 32
>    checking setting USE_TCL... disabled
>    checking setting USE_PERL... disabled
>    checking setting USE_ODBC... disabled
>    checking setproctitle... disabled
>    checking setting ASSERT CHECKING... disabled
>    checking for gcc... gcc
>    checking whether the C compiler (gcc -O2 ) works... no
>    configure: error: installation or configuration problem: C compiler
>    cannot create executables.

Did you install gcc and/or binutils?  Check out the end of config.log,
it will help you debug the problem.

I strongly recommend installing *all* of the Cygwin packages unless you
are very experienced with Cygwin.

BTW, please post to pgsql-ports@postgresql.org instead of emailing me
directly so others can benefit too.

Thanks,
Jason

--
Jason Tishler
Director, Software Engineering       Phone: +1 (732) 264-8770 x235