Re: Re: DES in Postgres? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Marko Kreen
Subject Re: Re: DES in Postgres?
Date
List pgsql-general
On Thu, Mar 01, 2001 at 11:27:15AM +0100, Karel Zak wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 01, 2001 at 08:59:38AM -0000, drevil@sidereal.kz wrote:
> >
> > Is there a function in Postgres which will DES-encrypt a given string
> > with a given key?  If not, has anyone out there written a linkable C
> > function to do that?  I know it's easy to do, if you know C, but I
> > don't know C.
>
> In the 7.1 contrib tree is nice crypto module, perhaps (I hope)
> contains DES too. Only 2 weeks to this release...

Nope.  Only digest() is there :(  I have encrypt/decrypt stuff
coded, but there is problem with "what I tell"/"what I want"
differences - so I mostly dig in various crypto libraries
around at the moment.  It would be nice if encrypted data can be
decrypted with later versions of pgcrypto too :)

I have hoped to get the binary format stable, then release,
but if there is interest I can make a for-playing-only release.

Btw, I have hmac() and crypt() too...

--
marko