Re: CommitDelay performance improvement - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From ncm@zembu.com (Nathan Myers)
Subject Re: CommitDelay performance improvement
Date
Re: CommitDelay performance improvement  (Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>)
List pgsql-hackers
On Fri, Feb 23, 2001 at 09:05:20PM -0500, Bruce Momjian wrote:

> > > We don't release code because it has better tuning opportunities for
> > > later releases. What we can do is give people parameters where the
> > > default is safe, and they can play and report to us.
> >
> > Perhaps I misunderstood.  I had perceived N=1 as a conservative choice
> > that was nevertheless preferable to N=0.
>
> I think zero delay is the conservative choice at this point, unless we
> hear otherwise from testers.

I see, I had it backwards: N=0 corresponds to "always delay", and
N=infinity (~0) is "never delay", or what you call zero delay.  N=1 is
not interesting.  N=M/2 or N=sqrt(M) or N=log(M) might be interesting,
where M is the number of backends, or the number of backends with begun
transactions, or something.  N=10 would be conservative (and maybe
pointless) just because it would hardly ever trigger a delay.

Nathan Myers
ncm@zembu.com