Re: CommitDelay performance improvement - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Bruce Momjian
Subject Re: CommitDelay performance improvement
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> > Is there significant time between entry of CommitTransaction() and the
> > fsync()?  Maybe not.
>
> I doubt it.  No I/O anymore, anyway, unless the commit record happens to
> overrun an xlog block boundary.

That's what I was afraid of.  Since we don't write the dirty blocks to
the kernel anymore, we don't really have much happening before someone
says they are about to commit.  In the old days, we were write()'ing
those buffers, and we had some delay and kernel calls in there.

Guess that idea is dead.

Pennsylvania19026