Re: GET DIAGNOSTICS (was Re: Open 7.1 items) - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Jan Wieck
Subject Re: GET DIAGNOSTICS (was Re: Open 7.1 items)
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Tom Lane wrote:
> Philip Warner <pjw@rhyme.com.au> writes:
> >> Hmm, that's definitely what SQL99 uses for the syntax.  I wonder where
> >> Jan got the SELECT INTO syntax --- did he borrow it from Oracle?
>
> > Sadly, we made it up.
>
> Ah so.  Well, friendliness aside, I'd go with the spec's syntax.
>
> > We *do* need to support ROW_COUNT, but allowing
>
> >     GET DIAGNOSTICS Select ROW_COUNT, SQLCODE, OID Into :a,:b:,:c;
>
> > is a lot friendlier than the standard:
>
> >     GET DIAGNOSTICS :a = ROW_COUNT;
> >     GET DIAGNOSTICS EXCEPTION 1 :b = SQLCODE;
> >     GET DIAGNOSTICS :c = OID;
>
> It looks to me like SQL99 allows
>
>    GET DIAGNOSTICS :a = ROW_COUNT, :b = OID, ...;
   I  like  this one - except for the OID which should IMHO read   INSERTED_OID.

> > P.S. Is Jan around? He's been very quiet recently...
>
> He's still engaged in moving from Germany to Norfolk, VA.  I think his
> net-access is somewhat erratic :-(
   Actually it's more the "custody for my children"  thing  than   the   movement   itself.  For  the  net-access:  my
mother's  appartment has a phone line, so I can use my 33K6  modem  for   dialup - that's all.

Jan