Re: locale support - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tatsuo Ishii
Subject Re: locale support
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> Tatsuo, what is LC_ALL (or the other locale envvars) set to when you run
> the program?  The man page for setlocale() on my machine documents that
> the main() starts in C or POSIX locale mode by default.  The call to
> setlocale(LC_ALL, "") reads the envvars and sets the locale
> accordingly.  Maybe RedHat's 6.2J isn't setting up the locale properly
> to begin with?  See what /etc/sysconfig/i18n contains -- if it is empty
> or doesn't exist, then locale is simply not set up. But you specfically
> mention the particular locale....

It's "ja_JP.eucJP". Definitely that locale exists, so I guess the
contents is broken...

> Ok, what combinations _do_ work?  We _know_ C or POSIX works -- but
> which ones don't work, on RH >6.1?  While I want to make sure that a
> broken locale data set isn't used, I also want to make sure that a good
> locale set isn't thrown out, either.  Forcing to LC_COLLATE=C is
> overkill, IMHO.  And building without locale support doesn't work,

I guess most single byte locales work. However I seriously doubt that
locales for multibyte language would work.

> either, because, at least on RH 6.1, strncmp() is buggered to use the
> locale's collation.

Really? I see PostgreSQL installations without the locale support work
just fine on RH 6.1J.

> The real solution is for the vendors to fix their broken locales.

Of course.
--
Tatsuo Ishii