Re: Re: PostgreSQL and PHP persistent connections - Mailing list pgsql-interfaces

From Bruce Momjian
Subject Re: Re: PostgreSQL and PHP persistent connections
Date
List pgsql-interfaces
> > We discussed using 'ROLLBACK' before passing a connection to a new user,
> > but the problem was that ROLLBACK with no open transaction causes a
> > server log error message.  We discussed adding 'ROLLBACK SILENT' to fix
> > this, but I believe a better, more portable solution is a simple "BEGIN
> > WORK;ROLLBACK".  This will do nothing if there is no open transaction,
> > and will ROLLBACK any open transaction.  I propose this be sent by PHP
> > as the first query when passing persistent connections.
>
>     i'll have a look at that tomorrow (if my family allows;-). if
>     "BEGIN WORK;ROLLBACK" does not stack transactions i think you
>     might have found the solution to the php-postgres problem! do

If we every get nested transactions, this will no longer work, but we
don't have them, and will not for a while.

>     you know how other script-interfaces (perl) to postgres
>     handle the very same thing?

They don't handle them, but our Java interface just added this feature.

> > As far as SET changes, does anyone on the PostgreSQL interfaces list
> > have a suggestion on how to RESET all session parameters?  Seems we may
> > need to add this feature in to the backend.
>
>     with the oracle driver (i wrote) there is a neat thing in the
>     oci-libs: you have a server-handle _and_ a session handle.
>     the session handle sits "on" the server-handle and keeps
>     _all_ session specific data, the server handle "only" carries
>     the pure connection to oracle. so i keep the server handle
>     persistent and allocate/free session handles on it for each
>     request to PHP. that way the sessions are always clean. but i
>     also do a forces rollback on the session handle before i free
>     it on request-end so that in case of a script error all
>     outstanding transactions are rolled-back.

Yes, it would be nice if we had that feature.

Pennsylvania19026