Re: Re: Postgres and Oracle differences and questions - Mailing list pgsql-interfaces

From Jan Wieck
Subject Re: Re: Postgres and Oracle differences and questions
Date
List pgsql-interfaces
Tom Lane wrote:

> Speaking of which, though, it looks like an update or insert will
> forcibly uncompress (and later recompress) a compressed-in-line datum,
> which seems like a waste of cycles to me.  Jan, shouldn't the test for
> VARATT_IS_EXTENDED at line 357 instead read VARATT_IS_EXTERNAL?
   Not without some more logic added.
   We  don't  have  any  admin  commands yet that can modify the   toasters strategy on the  attribute  level,  but
the config   attributes  in the tuple descriptor are already there. So you   can tell the toaster  per  attribute  if
it should  try  to   compress  or  not,  if it should try to keep the attribute in   the main tuple harder and  the
like.  You  have  to  modify   pg_attribute  yourself  for  now, where we might want to have   some ALTER TABLE, don't
we?
   IIRC the above should only be invoked  if  you  do  something   like  INSERT  ...  SELECT, where the already toasted
valueis   coming from  another  tuple  than  the  one  you're  actually   creating/updating.

Jan