Re: Auto-indexing - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Alfred Perlstein
Subject Re: Auto-indexing
Date
List pgsql-hackers
* Christopher Kings-Lynne <chriskl@familyhealth.com.au> [010206 18:29] wrote:
> Is it a feasible idea that PostgreSQL could detect when an index would be
> handy, and create it itself, or at least log that a table is being queried
> but the indices are not appropriate?
>
> I suggest this as it's a feature of most windows databases, and MySQL does
> it.  I think it would be a great timesaver as we have hundreds of different
> queries, and it's a real pain to have to EXPLAIN them all, etc.   Is that
> possible?  Feasible?

Probably both, but if it's done there should be options to:

.) disable it completely or by table/database or even threshold or  disk free parameters (indicies can be large)
.) log any auto-created databases to inform the DBA.
.) if disabled optionally log when it would have created an index on  the fly.  (suggest an index)
.) expire old and unused auto-created indecies.

Generally Postgresql assumes the user knows what he's doing, but
it couldn't hurt too much to provide an option to have it assist
the user.