Re: [HACKERS] How to modify type in table? - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Oliver Elphick
Subject Re: [HACKERS] How to modify type in table?
Date
List pgsql-sql
"Jaruwan Laongmal" wrote: >Would you like to inform me how to modify type in table? >For example , I define type as
varchar(14), but I want to modify to varcha= >r(120). How to do this.

There is no facility to do this directly.  (Allowing columns to change
their type would possibly involve rewriting the entire table.)

You can use pg_dump to dump either a database or a particular table. Then
you can edit the CREATE TABLE command in the dump output and then create a
new database or table from the dump.

If the table in question is not referenced by any other objects, dump
it  (pg_dump -t table database >dump); edit the dump; delete or rename the
old table; and finally restore the dump (psql -d database <dump).

If the table is the target of RI references, triggers, rules and so on, it
is easiest to use pg_dump to dump the whole database,  (This is because the
table is referenced by oid, not by name, and recreating the table will
make it seem to disappear from all those references.)

========================================   "The Lord knoweth how to deliver the godly out of      temptations, and to
reservethe unjust unto the day of     judgment to be punished;"            II Peter 2:9