Transactions inside plpgsql? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Alan Turner
Subject Transactions inside plpgsql?
Date
List pgsql-general
Hi

I've been searching the web/mailing lists/web boards for the answer to a
question I have regarding postgresql. So far, I haven't found a conclusive
answer. My apologies in advance if this is a FAQ/stupid question.

My problem is that I would like to write a plpgsql procedure that starts and
ends transactions. This requires use of the postgres keyword 'begin'. From
what I can see, the plpgsql parser is wrongly interpreting the begin as a
plpgsql keyword.

I considered the idea of creating an 'sql' language stored procedure, called
say begin_work() which in turn makes the 'begin work' statement. While this
does seem to work, it seems a bit rediculous.

I'm hoping that I've been stupid and missed something obvious :-)

If someone could point me in the direction of the correct documentation,
I'd be most grateful.

Thanks!

Cheers,
Alan

Alan Turner | Voice: (02) 9481 8223 | Email: alan@suburbia.com.au
Encrypted mail welcome. | Key: http://homepages.tig.com.au/~aturner/alan.gpg
1024D/9F513D15 1999-09-16 Alan Turner <alan@suburbia.com.au>
Key fingerprint = 2CC3 CDB9 7BE2 0585 EA63  19A1 C4EC EA32 9F51 3D15
To see a need and wait to be asked, is to already refuse.

--FAA06171.980657327/dshmail1.dsh.de--