Re: SourceForge & Postgres - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Jan Wieck
Subject Re: SourceForge & Postgres
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Tim Perdue wrote:
> I thought the hackers team would be interested in knowing that SourceForge, as
> of Friday evening, is running on Postgres. Some 95,000 users and 12,500 Open
> Source projects are depending on your stuff, so I hope it's going to be stable
> for us. ;-)

Tim,
   the  PG  core team is wondering if SourceForge might still be   running on a snapshot prior to  BETA3,  because
there is  a   major bug in it that could result in a complete corruption of   the system catalog.

   The bug is that the shared buffer cache might mix  up  blocks   between  different  databases.  As  long  as you
onlyuse one   database, you're fairly safe.  But  a  single  'createdb'  or   'createuser'  on  the  same  instance,
whichis connecting to   template1, could blow away your entire  installation.  It  is   fixed in BETA3.

   My personal recommendation should be clear.

Jan