Re: Connection pooling - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Frank Joerdens
Subject Re: Connection pooling
Date
List pgsql-general
On Thu, Jan 25, 2001 at 05:14:50PM +0100, Gilles DAROLD wrote:
> Hi,
>
> With Apache/mod_perl it is very simple to enable DB connection
> persistance.
>
> in your perl script :
>
> use vars qw($dbh);
>
> $dbh ||= DBI::connect($datasrc, $dbuser, $dbpwd);
>
> That create a persistance connection to your DB and you do not have to
> care
> about a pool of connection. Double pipe do all for you :-)
>
> But if you really want a pool just create an array of this kind of global
> var at startup
> and switch to any indices as you want.

How's that supposed to work? Apache is a multi-process web server.
Connection pooling over all Apache children that are currently alive on
a web server would require some kind of inter-process communication,
which I don't think Apache supports (am I mistaken?).

Regards, Frank