pgsql/contrib/pgcrypto Makefile README.pgcrypt ... - Mailing list pgsql-committers

From Bruce Momjian - CVS
Subject pgsql/contrib/pgcrypto Makefile README.pgcrypt ...
Date
List pgsql-committers
CVSROOT:    /home/projects/pgsql/cvsroot
Module name:    pgsql
Changes by:    momjian@hub.org    01/01/23 22:46:16

Modified files:
    contrib/pgcrypto: Makefile README.pgcrypto pgcrypto.c
                      pgcrypto.sql.in
Added files:
    contrib/pgcrypto: encode.c encode.h

Log message:
    I would like to do a interface change in pgcrypto.  (Good
    timing, I know :))  At the moment the digest() function returns
    hexadecimal coded hash, but I want it to return pure binary.  I
    have also included functions encode() and decode() which support
    'base64' and 'hex' encodings, so if anyone needs digest() in hex
    he can do encode(digest(...), 'hex').

    Main reason for it is "to do one thing and do it well" :)

    Another reason is if someone needs really lot of digesting, in
    the end he wants to store the binary not the hexadecimal result.
    It is really silly to convert it to hex then back to binary
    again.  As I said if someone needs hex he can get it.

    Well, and the real reason that I am doing encrypt()/decrypt()
    functions and _they_ return binary.  For testing I like to see
    it in hex occasionally, but it is really wrong to let them
    return hex.  Only now it caught my eye that hex-coding in
    digest() is wrong.  When doing digest() I thought about 'common
    case' but hacking with psql is probably _not_ the common case :)

    Marko Kreen