Re: Troubles with performances - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Jan Wieck
Subject Re: Troubles with performances
Date
List pgsql-general
Lamar Owen wrote:

> /*
>  * _SHM_ID_BITS + _SHM_IDX_BITS must be <= 24 on the i386 and
>  * SHMMAX <= (PAGE_SIZE << _SHM_IDX_BITS).
>  */
>
> #define SHMMAX 0x2000000                /* max shared seg size (bytes)
> */
> /* Try not to change the default shipped SHMMAX - people rely on it */
>
> -------
>
> Hmmmm....
>
> Looks pretty difficult to change.

    echo 134217728 >/proc/sys/kernel/shmmax

    set's  the  maximum  allowed  segment!  size  to 128M. Shared
    memory under Linux can  be  swapped,  so  if  you  have  256M
    physical  and  run  3  postmasters, you can start all of them
    with 64M (or more) and while they're  idle  they  most  likey
    consume  some swap space. But when it poors, they'll grab the
    memory they need.

Jan