Re: character sets - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Tatsuo Ishii
Subject Re: character sets
Date
List pgsql-general
> hi all,
> Does postgres support other character sets?
> We've been thinking in porting an application to chinesse, but we don't
> know if it's possible to store chinesse characters in postgres

I don't know what kind of Chinese are talking about, but PostgreSQL
does support both tradional Chinese and simplified Chinese.

tradional Chinese: EUC-CN

simplified Chinese: EUC-TW (you could use Big5 for clients
only. PostgreSQL will do automatic conversion between Big5 and EUC-TW,
in this case)

ALso, you could use UNICODE(UTF-8). For upcomming 7.1, PostgreSQL will
provide automatic conversion between:

UTF-8 <--> EUC-CN
UTF-8 <--> EUC-TW
UTF-8 <--> Big5