GET DIAGNOSTICS SELECT PROCESSED INTO - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Dan Langille
Subject GET DIAGNOSTICS SELECT PROCESSED INTO
Date
Re: [HACKERS] GET DIAGNOSTICS SELECT PROCESSED INTO  (Bruce Momjian <pgman@candle.pha.pa.us>)
List pgsql-general
Does anyone know if this feature exists?  If so, what version or where
can a patch be obtained?

Thanks

Date sent:          Mon, 15 Jan 2001 08:44:46 +0100
From:               "J.H.M. Dassen (Ray)" <jdassen@cistron-office.nl>
To:                 pgsql-general@postgresql.org
Subject:            Re: getting number of rows updated within a procedure

On Sun, Jan 14, 2001 at 23:27:06 +1300, Dan Langille wrote:
> I'm writing some stuff in PL/pgsql (actually, a lot of stuff).  I have a
> question: At various times, it does UPDATEs.  Is there a way to tell if
> the UPDATE actually affected any rows or not?  I couldn't see how to get
> UPDATE to return anything.

Quoting a recent message by Jan Wieck <janwieck@Yahoo.com>:
:Do a
:
:    GET DIAGNOSTICS SELECT PROCESSED INTO <int4_variable>;
:
:directly  after  an  INSERT,  UPDATE  or DELETE statement and you'll know
:how many rows have been hit.
:
:Also you can get the OID of an inserted row with
:
:    GET DIAGNOSTICS SELECT RESULT INTO <int4_variable>;

HTH,
Ray
--
"The software `wizard' is the single greatest obstacle to computer literacy
since the Mac."

Dan Langille
The FreeBSD Diary - http://freebsddiary.org/
       FreshPorts - http://freshports.org/