Re: pg_log - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Andrew W. Nosenko
Subject Re: pg_log
Date
List pgsql-general
Alfred Perlstein wrote:
: * Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> [010116 16:38] wrote:
: > "Andrew W. Nosenko" <awn@bcs.zp.ua> writes:
: > > Question: what is logged in pg_log table and how I can cleanup it?
: >
: > Transaction commit-status bits, and don't even *think* of touching it.
: > Easiest way to hose your database that I know of :-(
: >
: > If it gets big enough to be really annoying, you can
: > dumpall/initdb/reload.  There is no shortcut.

Thanks to Tom for answer, this is exactly what I want to know.

:
: My pg_log file is about 3MB on one server and 5MB on another.  If
: 3-6MB is a "pretty large" size for pg_log and people are deleting
: it, perhaps a name change is in order?
:
: pg_commitstatus?  or something?
:
: I think pg_'log' screams 'delete me please' to um... "power users"
:
: :)
:

Sorry for my English, when I say `cleanup' I don't say about deleting
file nor about any other changes directly/"in evade"/without PostrgreSQL
backend.  But simple about `is this file/table/etc have data what never
be used anymore (like deleted tuples in regular tables)?' and if this
sort of data exist then `is exist some analog of VACUUM that can return
this space into filesystem (decrease size of file)?'

--
Andrew W. Nosenko    (awn@bcs.zp.ua)