Re: pg_dump error - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Johann Spies
Subject Re: pg_dump error
Date
List pgsql-sql
On Mon, Jan 15, 2001 at 08:36:46PM -0500, Tom Lane wrote:

> I would guess that this means there is a file named "pgdump_oid" hanging
> around in the database directory, no doubt leftover from some previous
> pg_dump cycle.  Manually removing the file should get you up and running
> again.  However, that just begs the question of why the file is there...

I found the file "pgdump_oid" and removed it.  Running the dump script
after that resulted in:
------------------------
"$Can not drop pgdump_oid table.  Explanation from backend:
'pqReadData() -- backend closed the channel unexpectedly.       This probably means the backend terminated abnormally
   before or while processing the request.

'."
------------------------
Running the same script
(pg_dump js -o -c -f /home/js/psql/jhspiesdb.out)

a second time:
-------------------------
'Can not create pgdump_oid table.  Explanation from backend: 'ERROR:
cannot create pgdump_oid
'.
----------------------------------
Trying after that to "drop table pgdump_oid" resulted in:
------------------------
js=> drop table pgdump_oid;
QUERY: drop table pgdump_oid;
ERROR:  Relation 'pgdump_oid' does not exist
ERROR:  Relation 'pgdump_oid' does not exist
------------------------

Also doing \dt in psql resulted in an seemingly endless loop with no
output produced.  I had to kill psql.

However, my other applications using postgresql is still working.

I also tried reinstalling postgresql.  The process also resulted in
errors (one was a message about not being able to find a file with the
name "can_i_run") and when the installation script (Debian) tried to
dump the data it also failed. In the end I had postgresql running
again but the same pg_dump problem remains.

Regards.

Johann
--
J.H. Spies - Tel. 082 782 0336     "Jesus said unto her, I am the resurrection, and the      life; he that believeth in
me,though he were dead,      yet shall he live"                John 11:25