Re: ORDER BY works stranke - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Bruno Wolff III
Subject Re: ORDER BY works stranke
Date
List pgsql-general
On Sat, Jan 13, 2001 at 01:06:00AM +0100,
  Uro Gruber <uros@sir-mag.com> wrote:
> Hi!
>
> I noticed that order by works strange
>
> if i use ORDER BY some field i get result like this
>
> Mytest
> Test
> arethistest
>
> But it supposed to be
>
> arethistest
> Mytest
> Test

This seems to depend on your locale. As far as I could tell the local
strcmp function is used to compare strings. In my locale lowercase and
uppercase are treated as similar and only distinguish between them when
the strings are otherwise identical. Special characters also have unusal
affects for people expecting comparisons based on ascii codes.
If someone knows of a good source of documentation for how the comparison
is done in the default locale in redhat linux systems, I would be interested
in hearing about it.