Re: exit status 26 - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Dan Moschuk
Subject Re: exit status 26
Date
List pgsql-general
| > Signal 26 on FreeBSD is SIGVTARLM.
|
| We don't ever set a virtual timer alarm, either.  Is it possible that
| you are running the postmaster with a ulimit-style limit on total
| process runtime?

No, I've tested this and postmaster is being started in an unlimited
enviornment.

The code that delivers the actual signal looks like this:

                if (CLKF_USERMODE(frame) &&
                    timevalisset(&pstats->p_timer[ITIMER_VIRTUAL].it_value) &&
                    itimerdecr(&pstats->p_timer[ITIMER_VIRTUAL], tick) == 0)
                        psignal(p, SIGVTALRM);

So it is getting a virtual timer from somewhere.  A grep of the backend
directory revealed no setitimer() occurances, so I can confirm that it
isn't postmaster doing it.  And if the shells environment is unlimited,
which doesn't leave very many culprits left. :/

--
Man is a rational animal who always loses his temper when he is called
upon to act in accordance with the dictates of reason.