initdb on build machine and moving to production machine - Mailing list pgsql-general

From oberpwd@anubis.network.com (Wade D. Oberpriller)
Subject initdb on build machine and moving to production machine
Date
Re: initdb on build machine and moving to production machine  (Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>)
List pgsql-general
Hello,

I want to be able to do an initdb on a build machine and then copy this new
database to a production machine and run with it. One thing I have noticed is
that initdb needs an absolute path, so if I copy the database it needs to
reside in an identical location as where it was initialized.

The problem is my build machine and production machines don't have the same
directory structures. One solution I was considering was to create an
alternative path through symbolic links to my directory where I do the initdb
on the build machine. This alternative path would match the path that the
db will reside in on the production machines.

Is there anyway to overcome this, that is can a database be initialized and
copied to another locationa and still work?

Wade Oberpriller
StorageTek
oberpwd@network.com