Re: ECPG could not connect to the database. - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Michael Meskes
Subject Re: ECPG could not connect to the database.
Date
List pgsql-general
On Tue, Jan 09, 2001 at 12:11:58PM -0500, Tom Lane wrote:
> broken, it's not documented (at least not in the libpq documentation),
> it interferes with accessing databases whose names contain funny
> characters, and it looks likely to create compatibility problems with
> future standards.  It also didn't play well with the Unix-socket-path-
> specification change, IIRC.

How do these standards look like? Back when I implemented this kind of
database name specification we discussed it here and decided to go for this
syntax.

> It's not being "taken away" from other apps, because there are no other
> apps using it, because it's not documented as a feature of anything
> except ecpg.

Yes, that's true. But IMO it would be a major plus if all apps can use the
same database name.

It's not that I desperately want this syntax. I'm willing to change ECPG to
use the same syntax everything else uses. But how do you specify the
database name to psql? Personally I do not think using environment variables
is a good idea. For compatibility it should remain that way, but I would not
recommend using this.

Michael
--
Michael Meskes