Re: PHP and PostgreSQL - Mailing list pgsql-general

From gravity@node10065.a2000.nl
Subject Re: PHP and PostgreSQL
Date
List pgsql-general
On Fri, Jan 05, 2001 at 11:17:29PM +0100, Uro Gruber wrote:
> Hi!
> I have some questions about coding in php with postgre.
> Here is my code
> $qu = pg_exec ($db_conn, "SELECT * FROM clients ORDER BY username");
> $row = 0; // postgres needs a row counter other dbs might not
> while ($data = @pg_fetch_object ($qu, $row)) {
> echo $data->username." (";
> echo $data->password ."): ";
> echo $data->client_id."<BR>";
> $row++;
> }
> When i execute this i get 3 records (in DB is also 3 records), if i
> delete @ before pg_fetch_object i get an error:
> "Unable to jump to row 3 on PostgreSQL result index 4"
> I understand what's wrong and i know why is that @.
> What i do want to know is, if there is something wrong with this
> function or am i doing something wrong. I don't like that kind of
> errors. How can i stop before the end.
> In mysql there was no need to count rows.

there are nicer ways (look for one in the db-abstraction layer in PHP-LIB)
but this works:

> $qu = pg_exec ($db_conn, "SELECT * FROM clients ORDER BY username");
$number_of_rows = pg_numrows($qu);
for ($counter=0;$counter<$number_of_rows;$counter++) {
    $data_array = pg_fetch_array($qu, $counter);
    echo "$data_array[username]";
    }

z.