Re: How passwords can be crypted in postgres? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From
Subject Re: How passwords can be crypted in postgres?
Date
List pgsql-general
> If you encrypt the input from the frontend as well and compare the
> encrypted strings it will not help you to look into the list of
> encrypted passwords ... or am I wrong?

If you encrypt the input from the frontend, then someone who had the
encrypted passwords and could hack into the front end would be able to
control the situation.  If someone could hack into the backend and
change encrypted passwords, he would have control.  Really, we're
talking about shared secrets here, and if the secrecy of the shared
secret is violated, there's nothing you can do.

Public key would be better because you don't have to worry about
secrecy, only about it never changing.  You could achieve this with
some kind of physical medium, like writing private keys to a
write-once medium of some kind.

Btw, speaking encrypting, I HOPE a future version of PG will have SHA1
in addition to MD5.  No one should be using MD5 anymore.