Re: Inheritance is a security loophole! - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Bruce Momjian
Subject Re: Inheritance is a security loophole!
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> I suppose a proper fix would involve adding a new permission type "can
> make child tables", but I don't want to mess with that at the moment.
> For 7.1, I propose that we only allow creation of child tables to the
> owner of the parent table.

I see no reason people would be inheriting from other people's tables.
Let's disable it.

> PS: another interesting problem: create a temp table, then create a
> non-temp table that inherits from it.  Unhappiness ensues when you
> end your session.  Need to prohibit this combination, I think.

Clear example where mixing features causes strange behavour.  Part of
the UNION/TEMPORARY/subquery/aggregate/inheritance/rule/view/array mix.

Pennsylvania19026