Duplicate records leaking into unique indexed tables - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From pgsql-bugs@postgresql.org
Subject Duplicate records leaking into unique indexed tables
Date
List pgsql-bugs
Doug Mitchell (pgsql@dougmitchell.com) reports a bug with a severity of 2

Short Description
Duplicate records leaking into unique indexed tables

Long Description

PostgreSQL 7.0.3 on RedHat 7.0

I have some fairly large (2-3 million rows) tables with a PRIMARY KEY that created a valid unique index.  After a few
daysof high-concurrency updates, vacuum says the it "can not insert a duplicate record into tablename_pkey".  I'm
fairlysure that my application would crash if an INSERT failed due to key duplications, so I have to believe that this
isinternal to PG.  Maybe the index is pointing to both the current and a previous version of the same tuple.
I didn't see this until I upgraded from 7.0 to 7.0.3, but I was not looking for it.

Thanks,
Doug

Sample Code

No file was uploaded with this report