No SuitableDriver error while inserting through Servlet ,while No error through A Java application - Mailing list pgsql-interfaces

From Manish Vig
Subject No SuitableDriver error while inserting through Servlet ,while No error through A Java application
Date
List pgsql-interfaces
Dear Sir,

I am trying to run UpdateQuery from a redhatlinux  6.2 server with Apache
Jserv  with PostGres.

When I try a simple Insert statement or a Query statement  from a Java
Applicationit works fine,
But when i try  to do that through a servlet.
It gives me  No Suitable Driver.
I have my PostGreSQL Driver in the ext directory of   jre/lib/ext/

the following code tries to make a connection and inserts the statements

try  {Class.forName("org.postgresql.Driver");                    }
catch(ClassNotFoundException ex){System.err.println(ex.getMessage());}
         try{

con=DriverManager.getConnection("jdbc:postgresql://localhost/dbname","userna
me","");
                     st= con.createStatement();        }    catch(SQLException
eft){System.err.println(eft.getMessage());}
//the error reported here is  No Suitable Driver
 try{

        String stat="INSERT INTO ...."        System.err.println(stat);st.executeUpdate(stat);
         }
catch(Exception e){System.err.println(e.getMessage());}
The Error reported here is  Null Pointer Exception

Is there any thing special with the servlet trying to access the PostGresql
jdbc driver.