Re: RFC C++ Interface - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From ncm@zembu.com (Nathan Myers)
Subject Re: RFC C++ Interface
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Tue, Dec 12, 2000 at 05:28:46PM -0500, Bruce Momjian wrote:

> > > Rogue Wave's API is quite interesting. It would be a challenge to
> > > implement. If you think you can do it, I think it would be a real
> > > win, and a real object-oriented API to PostgreSQL.
> >
> > I was co-architect of the Rogue Wave Dbtools.h++ interface design
> > ... The design is really showing its age. SQL92 and SQL3 didn't
> > exist then, and neither did the STL or the ISO 14882 C++ Language
> > standard.
>
> Can you suggest areas that should be changed?

As I recall, we were much more fond of operator overloading then than is
considered tasteful or wise today. Also, there was no standard for how
iterators ought to work, then, whereas today one needs unusually good
reasons to depart from the STL style.

Nathan Myers
ncm@zembu.com