Patches with vacuum fixes available for 7.0.x - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Alfred Perlstein
Subject Patches with vacuum fixes available for 7.0.x
Date
Re: Patches with vacuum fixes available for 7.0.x  (Tom Samplonius <tom@sdf.com>)
Re: Patches with vacuum fixes available for 7.0.x  (Bruce Momjian <pgman@candle.pha.pa.us>)
Re: Patches with vacuum fixes available for 7.0.x  (Bruce Momjian <pgman@candle.pha.pa.us>)
List pgsql-hackers
We recently had a very satisfactory contract completed by
Vadim.

Basically Vadim has been able to reduce the amount of time
taken by a vacuum from 10-15 minutes down to under 10 seconds.

We've been running with these patches under heavy load for
about a week now without any problems except one: don't 'lazy' (new option for vacuum) a table which has just had an
indexcreated on it, or at least don't expect it to take any less time than a normal vacuum would.

There's three patchsets and they are available at:

http://people.freebsd.org/~alfred/vacfix/

complete diff:
http://people.freebsd.org/~alfred/vacfix/v.diff

only lazy vacuum option to speed up index vacuums:
http://people.freebsd.org/~alfred/vacfix/vlazy.tgz

only lazy vacuum option to only scan from start of modified
data:
http://people.freebsd.org/~alfred/vacfix/mnmb.tgz

Although the patches are for 7.0.x I'm hoping that they
can be forward ported (if Vadim hasn't done it already)
to 7.1.

enjoy!