Spinlocks may be broken. - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Alfred Perlstein
Subject Spinlocks may be broken.
Date
List pgsql-hackers
I'm debugging some code here where I get problems related to
spinlocks, anyhow, while running through the files I noticed
that the UNLOCK code seems sort of broken.

What I mean is that on machines that have loosely ordered
memory models you can have problems because of data that's
supposed to be protected by the lock not getting flushed
out to main memory until possibly after the unlock happens.

I'm pretty sure you guys need memory barrier ops.