Re: re : PHP and persistent connections - Mailing list pgsql-novice

From GH
Subject Re: re : PHP and persistent connections
Date
List pgsql-novice
On Thu, Nov 23, 2000 at 10:14:17AM -0600, some SMTP stream spewed forth:
> On Thu, Nov 23, 2000 at 04:53:35PM +0100, some SMTP stream spewed forth:
> > Set the number of connection in php.ini to 2
>
> I tried doing this, with the max set to 1, 2, and 3; but the number
> of backends continues to grow until smacking into the ceiling.
> What is controlled by max_persistent? It seems like PHP is just
> ignoring this value.

Um, heh, nevermind. (*heads to corner for to bury his head in the sand*).
It turns out that the number of max_persistent is linked to the httpd
processes in some difficult-to-describe way.
e.g.
MinSpareServers 10
MaxSpareServers 20
StartServers 15
MaxClients 300 (I do not know why that is so high, but oh well.)
KeepAlive On

pgsql.max_persistent = 2
pgsql.max_links = -1 (no limit).

Now, the number of backends and httpd processes starts as
2 postgres, and 17 httpd. I guess because of the StartServers 15
The max that I can reach by fetching only the script that uses
one persistent connection is
22 postgres, and 22 or 23 httpd.

It appears to be that PHP opens a new "persistent" connection when the
persistent connection (backend?) is "occupied". I believe someone made a
comment about not doing connection pooling.
I wish there were some way to keep the extra 17 or so postgres backends
from hanging around. Maybe I am just missing something in the concept.

I do not know what will happen with PHP when there are more than one
different (i.e. different username, database) persistent connections.
I suppose they would be affected by the max_persistent. (?).

Anyway, I thank you all for your assistance.
"99% of Geeks love databases; Geeks love statistics because they
encourage the use of databases." ;-))

    gh
    .