Re: RE: [COMMITTERS] pgsql/src/backend/access/transam ( xact.c xlog.c) - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Larry Rosenman
Subject Re: RE: [COMMITTERS] pgsql/src/backend/access/transam ( xact.c xlog.c)
Date
List pgsql-hackers
* Bruce Momjian <pgman@candle.pha.pa.us> [001117 11:23]:
> > > sleep(3) should conform to POSIX specification, if anyone has the
> > > reference they can check it to see what the effect of sleep(0)
> > > should be.
> >
> >   Yes, but Posix also specifies sched_yield() which rather explicitly
> > allows a process to yield its timeslice.  No idea how well that is
> > supported.
>
> I have it on BSDI.  We could add a configure check, and use it if it is
> there.  Another idea is to add a shared memory flag when someone enters
> the 'commit' section of the transaction code.  That way, a backend could
> check to see if another process is _about_ to commit, and wait.
On UnixWare, it requires the -Kthread or -Kpthread command, which then
links in the threads library...

I'm not sure that this is a good thing or not....

LER

--
Larry Rosenman                      http://www.lerctr.org/~ler
Phone: +1 972-414-9812 (voice) Internet: ler@lerctr.org