Re: [rfc] new CREATE FUNCTION (and more) - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Nathan Myers
Subject Re: [rfc] new CREATE FUNCTION (and more)
Date
Re: [rfc] new CREATE FUNCTION (and more)  (Philip Warner <pjw@rhyme.com.au>)
List pgsql-hackers
On Thu, Nov 16, 2000 at 11:20:58AM -0500, Tom Lane wrote:
> I don't have any great love for the names 'C' and 'newC' either, but
> unless we are willing to break backward-compatibility of function
> declarations in 7.1, I think we are stuck with those names or ones
> isomorphic to them.
>
> In the long run, it seems that it'd be a good idea to embed function
> declaration info straight into a loadable module, per Philip's idea
> of a special function or your idea of a table.

Until somebody implements Philip's idea, a much simpler approach could
obviate the whole issue:
- Keep the name 'C' for both old-style and new-style module declarations.- Require that new-style modules define a
distinguishedsymbol, such as   "int __postgresql_call_7_1;".

The module loader can look for symbols that start with "__postgresql_call"
and adjust automatically, or report an error.  This
- Breaks no backward compatibility, - Defines a clear method for handling future changes, to prevent this     problem
fromarising again, - Creates no particular inconvenience for writers of modules, and - Might be very easy to
implement.

Nathan Myers
ncm@zembu.com