Re: Script Location - Mailing list pgsql-general

From GH
Subject Re: Script Location
Date
List pgsql-general
On Thu, Nov 16, 2000 at 12:22:34AM -0500, some SMTP stream spewed forth:
> When I dump a database (creating a script from the pg_dump command), I
> can't just put it in any old directory and point psql at it. I have to
> put it in the /var/lib/pgsql subdirs before postgresql will accept it.
> Is this right? Am I doing something wrong? Is this a bug^H^H^Hfeature?
>
> Paul M. Foster

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/user/app-pgdump.htm
all user-defined types, functions, tables, indices, aggregates, and
operators...

Note the limitations (if you have not already done so).

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/admin/backup.htm#AEN2278
Restoring
The text files created by pg_dump are intended to be read in by the psql
program. The general command form to restore a dump is

psql dbname < infile
where infile is what you used as outfile for the pg_dump command. The
database dbname will not be created by this command, you must do that
yourself before executing psql (e.g., with createdb dbname). psql
supports similar options to pg_dump for controlling the database server
location and the user names. See its reference page for more information.

To answer your question:
You seem to misunderstand pg_dump (?).
To restore from a dump, just reate the database and
psql [options] < dumpfile
The dumpfile can be anywhere (accessible to your user).
It actually does *not* belong under the pgsql directory.

That sounds correct..

G'luck and
cheers
gh