Migrating some data - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Mário Jorge Nunes Filipe
Subject Migrating some data
Date
List pgsql-general
Hi

We're currently starting to migrate one of our server's for a different
physical and logical platform.

In the previous platform we are using Postgres 6.3.2, in the current we
will use 6.5.x (I know that there is a version 7 but for now we are
migrating to 6.5).

I'm doing pg_dump of every table (separetely so that migrating it will be
easier) with pg_dump (from version 6.3).

There is a table with the following definition:

Table    = aluno
+----------------------------------+----------------------------------+-------+
|              Field               |              Type                |
Length|
+----------------------------------+----------------------------------+-------+
| numero_aluno                     | int4                             |
4 |
| nome                             | text                             |
var |
| bi                               | text                             |
var |
| data_emissao                     | date                             |
4 |
| local_emissao                    | int2                             |
2 |
| data_nascimento                  | date                             |
4 |
| numero_irmaos                    | int2                             |
2 |
| morada                           | text                             |
var |
| freguesia_naturalidade           | int4                             |
4 |
| concelho_naturalidade            | int4                             |
4 |
| nacionalidade                    | int2                             |
2 |
| concelho_bi                      | int4                             |
4 |
| freguesia_bi                     | int4                             |
4 |
| sexo                             | char()                           |
1 |
| dist_origem                      | int4                             |
4 |
+----------------------------------+----------------------------------+-------+
Indices:  nome_aluno
          numero_aluno

This table has aproximately 8300 records but only 8100 get loaded. One of
records that fails is like this (on the dump):
5086    ALICE MARIA RODRIGUES VENTURA   7349491 03-18-1988      11
11-20-1962      0       Pisão-2480 Porto de MósM\
2480 Porto de Mós       12      1016    1       1016    0       F       13

(two lines)

When i try to load the dump i get this error for this record:

ERROR:  pg_atoi: error in "F": can't parse "F"

If i replace the ó on the second line with o (leaving ã e ó in the first
one) there is no error message. why?

thank's

--
        Mario Filipe