Re: UUNET socket-file-location patch - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Bruce Momjian
Subject Re: UUNET socket-file-location patch
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> I have to agree with Peter E. on this patch: it's poorly thought out.

Now you tell me.  :-)

> I don't mind the idea of being able to relocate the socket file,
> but the client-side interface they've chosen is silly.  Having to
> add another switch to every client app is not reasonable --- it's
> bad enough that you had to hack every one of the clients we supply,
> but what of client apps that just use libpq or one of the other
> interface libraries?  They'll be unable to talk to such a postmaster
> without further work.

The only solution for other apps is to use the environment variable
PGUNXSOCKET or use PQconnectdb with unixsocket="lkjasdf".

Overloading the hostname with a leading slash is another nice option.
If I do that in libpq, then all the apps can benefit, right?

> We should revert all the client-side changes from this patch, and
> instead teach libpq and the other interfaces to treat a host name
> that starts with a slash as being a path to a socket file (replacing
> the default assumption of "/tmp").  Much cleaner, especially for
> existing client apps.

I can easily back out whatever you want.  Let me back out the client
changes, and hack libpq to handle the leading slash.  Sounds good.

Pennsylvania19026