Re: Unhappy thoughts about pg_dump and objects inherited from template1 - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Ross J. Reedstrom
Subject Re: Unhappy thoughts about pg_dump and objects inherited from template1
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Thu, Nov 09, 2000 at 02:48:50AM +1100, Philip Warner wrote:
> At 10:15 8/11/00 -0500, Tom Lane wrote:
> >I like
> >
> >    CREATE DATABASE foo WITH TEMPLATE 'template0'
> >
> >better than a SET command.
>
> Just seems like we'd be forcing non-standard syntax on ourselves when/if
> CREATE DATABASE becomes CREATE SCHEMA; I would assume that the two
> statements would become synonymous? Since this code is only for pg_dump,
> polluting CREATE DATABASE even further seems like a bad idea. No big deal,
> though.

Nope, we'll still have databases, with schema inside them. Schema are
essentially a logical namespace, while a database encompasses all the data
objects accessible to one session (via standard SQL), i.e. one backend.

As Tom said, creating and maintaining those are 'implementation defined'
in the standard.

Ross
--
Open source code is like a natural resource, it's the result of providing
food and sunshine to programmers, and then staying out of their way.