Re: Expectations of MEM requirements for a DB with - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Bruce Guenter
Subject Re: Expectations of MEM requirements for a DB with
Date
List pgsql-general
On Tue, Nov 07, 2000 at 08:25:00AM -0500, Robert D. Nelson wrote:
>  I haven't run into *too many*
> OOM conditions (I do try and stack my boxes! er...) but I've noticed linux
> tends to kill kswapd first :/

Linux (at least in the discussions I've heard on the kernel mailing
list) is very careful to select non-critical user processes to kill, and
I would be extremely surprised if it picked one of its own threads
(kswapd is a kernel thread).  I've never seen it happen, but I've only
had a few OOM situations myself.
--
Bruce Guenter <bruceg@em.ca>                       http://em.ca/~bruceg/

Attachment