Re: autostart postgresql - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Mike E
Subject Re: autostart postgresql
Date
Re[2]: autostart postgresql  (Andy Corteen <lbc@telecam.demon.co.uk>)
List pgsql-general
* Bob Hartung (rwhart@netexpress.net) wrote:
> Partial success!
>   I have postgresql started and have "createdb testdb"
> successfully.  I am having trouble with autostarting
> postmaster in RH6.2 however.
>
>   I have copied the file
> "/usr/local/postgresql-7.0.2.......postgres-init"  to
> /etc/rc.d/init.d and made a softe link to it from .../rc5.d
> as follows       ln /etc/rc.d/init.d/postgres.init
> /etc/rc.d/rc5.d/S98postgres.init
>
>   postmaster does not autostart upon a reboot.  Do I have to
> use a start command or other paramater to tell postgres.init
> to start the postmaster up?  I am not good at reading and
> deciphering these scripts but would like postgres to
> autostart everytime the PC boots to runlevel 5.

You can't run postmaster as root, so to do this I believe you
have to write a wrapper script and give it a postgres (or whatever
your admin account is named) sticky bit.

Is this the 'one true way' for doing this?

Mike

--
Mike Erickson <mee (at) quidquam.com> http://www.quidquam.com/
Be happy. It is a way of being wise.