Re: [HACKERS] Re:RPM dependencies (Was: 7.0 vs. 7.1 (was: latest version?)) - Mailing list pgsql-ports

From Bruce Momjian
Subject Re: [HACKERS] Re:RPM dependencies (Was: 7.0 vs. 7.1 (was: latest version?))
Date
List pgsql-ports
> And unfortunately PHP and other PostgreSQL clients also link against the
> specific libpq version.  This has caused pain for those installing the
> PHP stuff from RPM which was linked against a RedHat 6.2 box with
> PostgreSQL 6.5.3 installed -- onto a RedHat 6.2 box with PostgreSQL
> 7.0.2 installed.  There is a failed dependency on libpq.so.2.0 -- even
> though libpq.so.2.1 is there.
>
> A symlink works around the problem, if the symlink is part of the RPM so
> that it gets in the rpm dep database.  Of course, this only causes
> problems with RedHat 6.2 and earlier, as RH 7's PHP stuff was built
> against 7.0.2 to start with.  But, 7.1 with libpq.so.2.2 will cause
> similar dep failures for PHP packages built against 7.0.2.

For us, it would be great if libpq.so.2.1 linked against the
libpq.so.2.1, libpq.so.2.2, but not libpq.so.2.0.  I would guess other
apps need this ability too.  How do they handle it?

I saw someone installing pgaccess from RPM.  It wanted tcl/tk 8.0, and
they had tcl/tk 8.3 installed, and it failed.  Seems this is a common
RPM problem.